Housing, support and health research:
- Quantitative research
- Qualitative research
- Sector based research and evidence reviews
- Policy development
Meeting the housing needs of our ageing population
- Local Government Association
- To produce the new updated version of the Housing our ageing population report
- To set out the policy context that affects the housing options and opportunities that will address the needs of an ageing population
- To provide evidence of how, in their role as housing authorities, planning authorities, and health and care authorities, councils are at the heart of solutions, and should be enabled with the tools, resources and certainty to realise their ambitions for people and places.
- Providing examples of good practice by councils in meeting the housing needs of an ageing population.
- The case studies in this report demonstrate how councils are playing a significant place-making role in shaping the current and future supply of housing for an ageing population in their areas.
Retirement Village and Extra Care Housing in England: Operators’ Experience during the COVID-19 Pandemic - RE-COV Study
- St Monica Trust (research funded by Dunhill Medical Trust)
- Undertaking an in-depth survey of the retirement village/extra care housing sector
- Extensive promotion of the study and its objectives through our networks
- Input and feedback in writing the report
- Dissemination and promotion in the media, at a HAPPI Hour webinar and at webinars run by other groups
- To understand how Retirement Village/Extra Care housing scheme operators in England and their residents have experienced and responded to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- What measures have been taken to maintain staff and resident well-being and the effectiveness of these.
- Whether reasons for variations in numbers of resident cases/deaths and their experience of lockdown could be determined.
- To share organisational learning about key challenges, innovations and accomplishments so far, as well as concerns, requirements and plans for the next 6-12 months.
- Launched at the Housing LIN’s HAPPI Hour webinar on 29 April 2021, the RE-COV Study highlighted the favourable experience of many residents living in Retirement Villages and Extra Care Housing during the pandemic.
- However, the huge strain that the COVID-19 pandemic placed on operators was also identified by the research. Recommendations were made based on the evidence from the study as to how some of the major challenges and difficulties faced by operators could be overcome.