"A lot of the time we're thinking about 'Where shall I live?' But the bigger question is 'How? How will I live? How do I want to be supported? Who do I want to live with me?'"
In this film, contributors to the series consider the possible future for Extra Care Housing, and outline ways in which the specialist housing market might adapt to our changing society. From Co-housing and intergenerational living, to specialist schemes, new urban centres and digital integration - the possibilities are as diverse as our older generation themselves.
But we are also reminded of some crucial factors for success: funding, private investment, legislative change and, perhaps most importantly, listening to the people with lived experience. We hope this series has contributed to this last point, and look forward to bringing you more as the future for Extra Care Housing unfolds.
Directed and produced by Chris Powell for the Housing LIN.
This series was made possible by the generous support of these organisations:
- Appello (opens new window)
- ARCO (Associated Retirement Community Operators) (opens new window)
- Care Support (opens new window)
- The ECHO Project (opens new window)
- Housing & Care 21
- Optivo (opens new window)
- West Kent (opens new window)
Previous films in the 'Spotlight on Extra Care Housing' video series include:
- What is extra care housing?
- Living with Dementia in Extra Care
- Designing a successful Extra Care Housing scheme
- Making extra care housing go viral – a reabling and caring environment
- A Digital Revolution in Extra Care Housing
- Listening to residents in extra care housing: findings from the ECHO research project
- Influencing policy and operations: outcomes from the ECHO research project
- Bridging the Health and Housing Gap