This Strategic Society Centre report supported by Anchor represents a strong case for the need to prioritise homes for older people.
- Explores the potential economic effects of specialist retirement housing
- Estimates the financial value of these economic effects drawing on relevant social survey, administrative and population data;
- Aggregates the total estimated financial value of a single unit of new specialist retirement housing across the lifetime of its first resident
This report looks at how specialist retirement housing can influence:
- Health and care costs
- Local authority adult social care expenditure
- First time buyers ability to get on to the property ladder, and their subsequent retirement wealth and housing costs.
The report estimates that the development of a single new specialist retirement housing unit may result in savings to the state.