The Association of Retirement Community Operators have published a summary of the recent changes concerning older people's housing in the NPPG (National Planning Practice Guidance). Written by Tetlow King Planning, the main points include:
- The housing needs of older people are now deemed to be 'critical'
- Councils should be breaking down the future need for older persons housing
- C2 institutional dwelling may now be counted against a council's housing requirement (which was one of the points that ARCO, among others, repeatedly raised with ministers and other stakeholders)
- For older people's housing, different viability considerations may apply
- Health and wellbeing should now be considered in local plans and decision making