Matter Architecture has been working with a grant from Innovate UK to rethink intergenerational housing: an old idea that is being rediscovered for its social benefits.
Their aim was to explore how a modern form of independent living could capture these benefits without the associated limitations. They have shared their analysis, findings and methodology in this useful online resource.
Split into 7 sections, the tool covers:
- Introduction: What is intergenerational housing and
- Social benefits: understanding the design process and its impact
- Design considerations: From the principles of design to sharing spaces
- Management: testing out the theory and further piloting
- Context: Considerations concerning density
- Implementation: Supporting adoption
- Discussion: Including signposting to useful resources on the Housing LIN website