There is a struggle to find LGBT+ friendly accommodation and, although the Equality Act may have reduced overt prejudice and discrimination, older LGBT+ people have often experienced a lifetime of discrimination and homophobia; fear and isolation, which impacts on their expectations of housing and support.
This new guide by Erosh on LGBT+ older people in sheltered & retirement housing is aimed at providers of sheltered and retirement housing and support services. It covers:
- Useful definitions
- Links with legal, regulatory, and policy frameworks
- Housing and support needs of older LGBT+ people
- What sheltered & retirement housing providers can do to support older LGBT+ people
- What older LGBT+ people experiencing discrimination and homophobia can do
- Sources of information and advice