This report, published by Independent Age, explores the precarious reality of renting in later life.
Their research shows that older renters are at a greater risk of facing poverty. Many have limited choices and live in unacceptable circumstances, fearing risk of eviction.
Independent Age calls for UK government to commit to:
- Passing the Renters (Reform) Bill with longer eviction notices, better protection for people on benefits and measures to raise the standards of homes in the private rented sector
- Uprating Local Housing Allowance to ensure it covers at least the rent of the cheapest 30% of the local private rental market and to ensure that it is uprated annually to reflect changes in rents
- Providing local authorities with the power to moderate and cap in-tenancy rent increases
- Increasing government investment in social housing
- Giving more powers and funding to local authorities to improve enforcement of existing laws