To coincide with World Sight Day 2019, Motion Spot put together a selection of design considerations to create beautiful and functional environments for people with a visual impairment.
Those design considerations include:
- the use of colour contrast throughout the building, including on fixtures and fittings
- consistency of materials and tonality throughout the flooring
- consistent, even lighting should be applied throughout and in particular across the floor
- use of signage to make it easier to navigate
- extra help, such as support rails, perching benches and quiet seating spaces
The paper concludes that, as with any well-designed inclusive environment, making spaces better for one group positively impacts the space for another. Many of the design considerations recommended for those with visual impairments will also hugely benefit others with physical or cognitive impairments.