Health and Housing - Health Intel
Updated on 18/02/2016
We've pulled out the essential tools and resources that ensure you can make informed decisions around health and housing so you can work towards better integration.
In this section you can find information on health-related policies and structures that will allow you and your partners to integrate policies and services as required by the Care Act and as set out in the landmark Health and Housing Memorandum of Understanding.
Also, check out our new Housing and Health Exchange , supported by Public Health England.
- Health dashboard This resource has a variety of useful datasets and tools that public health teams, primary care and acute health services use to better understand local health inequalities. It can also help you and your partners measure demand on planned and unplanned care and/or predict patient pathways.
- Health and housing policy Access information on the new health landscape and what factors local commissioners and clinicians are looking at to deliver better health and wellbeing outcomes. It explains the new models of care highlighted in the NHS five Year Forward View.
- Integration: health and housing partnerships You can find here the latest guidance, tools, case studies and recommendations about integration and partnership working between organisations in health, housing and care. For example, do you know your Vanguard sites from the Better Care Fund?
- Housing, hospital discharge and care pathways Get up to speed with helpful resources and practice examples of at-home care and support. The examples illustrate how older people have returned home and regained their health and independence following a hospital admission.
- Prevention, reablement and housing Poor housing costs the NHS £1.4b a year. Read examples of cost savings and health benefits from a range of preventive housing interventions. For example, reducing the risk of falls or support to regain independence at home can save the NHS and other service millions of pounds.
- Public health and housing Public health is critical in supporting interventions that tackle health inequality. Find out how housing, preventing homelessness and environmental health can promote and sustain healthy lifestyles and increase healthy life expectancy.
- Housing and long term conditions As people age the risk of developing long term conditions increases. Find out how best to develop your strategies to help people affected by conditions such as circulatory disease, diabetes, arthritis and respiratory conditions.
- NHS estate and other resources It is estimated that £6b of NHS estate is surplus to requirements. You can access here the latest resources, guidance and examples of where former NHS land is surplus to local requirements due to service changes. Much is being converted to residential use.
- Workforce issues Do we have the workforce to care for an ageing population? Find information on creative leadership, service innovation and workforce development to help meet outcomes that support care closer to home.
- Health ExchangeThis free online resource for practitioners working across housing, adult social care, public health and for primary care practitioners lists relevant policy and showcases examples of practice that have either helped to transform people's lives and/or improve local service delivery.
Stay networked with the Housing LIN for news and views on housing, health and social care. Register to receive our enews 'Housing with Care Matters'
We are grateful to SEQOL for their support to enable us to develop and maintain these pages.
Heather Mitchell, CEO, SEQOL
We're delighted to support the Health Intel. We hope it will provide information and encouragement to those seeking to work in partnership on this exciting agenda; bringing together the wealth of expertise from developers and suppliers within the housing sector and specialists in health, social care and supported employment to further enable opportunities for innovation, resource optimisation and creative solutions to be achieved, all with the focus on supporting people to make the most of their lives.
Housing and Health Exchange
Click here to visit our free web-based programme of knowledge and information exchange to support peer to peer learning and discussion. Use this opportunity to exchange relevant policy and showcase examples of practice that have either helped to transform people's lives and/or improve local service delivery.
Also of interest
Richard Humphries, The King's Fund
"With growing realisation of the potential for housing to contribute to the challenges faced by the health and social care systems, the Housing LIN is the go-to place for timely, relevant and accessible material - a unique set of resources for commissioners and providers."